26 Jun Laundry room redo
I’m lucky enough to have been able to put in a second washer and dyer in my home during a recent remodel. Although I could’ve really used it when all my kids were little and I was drowning in piles of laundry it definitely comes in handy now when I’m trying to wash a ton of sheets and towels.
For months the machines sat in their little nook completely naked and forlorn. I knew they needed to be enclosed and finished out but I didn’t want to spend much of anything on this and I knew it needed to be done quickly.
I had my wonderful handyman/jack-of-all-trades come in to build some cabinets on either side of the machines plus install a base for the final countertop installation. It would’ve been much easier (and cheaper) to get some pre-made, off the shelf cabinets but as I’ve come to learn all too well nothing is ever easy in my house and there are always issues that make me rethink and redesign every project. An old house definitely keeps you on your design toes.
I knew I wanted to leave the cabinets door-free and instead install a simple curtain panel which would add a nice splash of color and pattern to the space. I also decided that since I was on a time crunch I didn’t want to wait on getting a sold surface countertop measured and installed. So with these two decisions made I hit my favorite discount fabric store and Home Depot.
I found this wonderfully vibrant fabric for $4 a yard (I had seen it at Calico Corners for around $30 a yard the week before). I then found the curtain hardware for a couple of dollars at Target, cut the poles to size and hung my newly made curtains up. Instant pop of color in an otherwise plain space.
For the counters I initially thought of simply using the rest of some marble tiles I had left over from the remodel but I would’ve needed to purchase more plus get a wet saw to cut it. This just seemed like more trouble and expense then the area warranted. I usually hate using tile on countertops anyway and would never use them in a kitchen or bathroom but I absolutely loved these tiles when I saw them and knew they would be perfect for this application.
Since they were so large I knew we wouldn’t need a ton plus they would be faster to install. I decided to run them in a herringbone pattern since the surrounding walls were all brick and laying the tile in a more traditional stacked brick pattern would’ve been far too repetitive. I had the tile run right to the edge and amazingly my builder actually had a piece of scrap wood that matched the tile exactly to finish off the edge.
One project done on the honey-do list….half a million more to go.